The IEC requires you to be formally nominated together with the signatures of 50 voters but it is very easy. You must submit the required documents during the candidate nomination period, which is detailed in the election timetable published once an election date has been proclaimed. An Independent can be nominated by anybody who ordinarily resides in the municipality in that ward; and is registered on that municipal segment of the voters’ roll.
You have to submit the following documents:
- A nomination form signed by the Nominator. This is published before municipal elections.
- A prescribed acceptance of nomination form signed by the candidate which includes an undertaking to be bound by the Code of Conduct and a declaration that the candidate is not disqualified from standing in the elections in terms of the Constitution or other applicable legislation together with a copy of the first page of their ID book.
- A copy of the page of the candidate’s ID book on which the candidate’s photo, name and ID number appear (no need to be certified).
- A form containing the names, surnames, ID Numbers and signatures of at least fifty (50) voters whose names appear on the voters’ roll of any one of the voting districts of the ward the candidate is contesting.
- A deposit of R1,000.00 paid by means of a bank guaranteed cheque in favour of the Electoral Commission.
- An A5 colour photo (head and shoulders) of the independent ward candidate as first choice, but black and white will not be rejected.