We may not be able to change how politicians behave but we can choose to do politics different in our wards. We don’t need more promises. We are not unrealistic about what it takes to change things. But if we are going to reclaim our democratic power and take charge then we must do it based on a community politics rich with the conversations, deliberations, contributions and compromises that ordinary people must make when we come together as a group to make decisions about the resources and community that we share. Politics can be nourishing, generative, creative, supportive!
We need to reinvent, reclaim and rebuild community politics that…
- …creates hope and the belief that ordinary people can make the change that we need to build a more socially just, economically equal and environmentally sustainable community.
- …brings people together to deliberate and make shared decisions about our community in a way that benefits as many people as possible.
- …is based on solidarity and shared values despite our obvious differences across class, race and gender.
- …is lead by women and is accessible and inclusive for everyone.
- …breaks down hierarchies while promoting initiative and the talents and skills that everyone brings.
- …fosters a culture of generosity, care, creativity, volunteerism and self-organisation.